photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Personal Style, Defined: Sarah of Matters of Style


I am very pleased to feature Sarah from Matters of Style in this week's installment of "Personal Style, Defined.". Her blog is still relatively new, as she just started writing it back in April. I met Sarah when we exchanged e-mails about blogging and thought that she was incredibly sweet. She is off to a fabulous start with her blog which chronicles design trends, fashion, design inspiration, and some really great do-it-yourself projects, like this incredible bench makeover. Not only is Matters of Style fun to read, but the content is rather fresh and original, which is becoming more and more difficult to do with the recent influx of design blogs. In addition, Sarah has great style along with an uncanny ability to mix pieces from all eras and price points.


Thanks so much to Paloma for including Matters of Style in her Personal Style Defined series! I feel so honored and to be recognized by such an impressive woman, and to be included with such a talented group of guest bloggers.


My personal style involves the use of a mixture of various elements from different eras, price points, and design sensibilities to arrive at a classic, comfortable look. I definitely adhere to the principle that "the devil is in the details," and it is these details that can really make a room stand out.


Although I generally choose classic pieces of furniture, my style is defined by the details in the space, such as a mixture of stylistic elements and a splash of color. Pieces in my own living room range from estate sale finds, hand-me-downs, new modern pieces, custom pieces, and accessories ranging from Target and Pier 1 to Herend and Baccarat.



This sofa was an estate sale find- I loved the lines of it, but it was covered in teal velvet that had to go! I wanted to keep the room light, so I used glass topped tables rather than heavy wood. The directoire tables on both ends of the sofa were a catalog steal at $25 each. I had the blue and brown Marimekko-inspired club custom made in Hickory, NC. The drapery panels were also custom made from a P.Kaufman trellis fabric.





While I originally designed the room in the room in blues, creams, and whites, it needed a pop of color to warm things up. Enter my very favorite color, coral. I added a coral cashmere throw from Williams-Sonoma Home, modern coral circle throw pillows from Target, and my favorite piece- this needlepoint goldfish stool from Source Perrier, which I think really ties the color choices together.




To add some energy to the room, I incorporated some modern elements such as a Philippe Starck Louis Ghost Chair, paired with the needlepoint stool pictured above, which I thought was an unexpected combination. I also added this modern butler's tray table from West Elm, paired with vintage silver barware and crystal decanters. Antique rose lithographs are hung over it, in contrast to the modern lines of the table.


My goal for this space was to create a comfortable, classic living room, accented with details and accessories that make it fun, personal, and appropriate for a 20-something girl. It is this mixture of styles and eras, with a splash of color, that I believe best defines my style.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Wow, what a beautifully designed room! The trellis drapes, needlepoint stool and coral accents are gorgeous. Fabulous job! And Sarah, I think you totally nailed it about the devil being in the details - it's always fairly easy to nail the big pieces, but the accessories and details are what really brings the room together.

Marie Cole said...

The devil is in the details, fun mix of furnishings that just works really nicely.

Anne Patterson said...

I love it, Sarah- especially the goldfish! Wonderful!

Julie said...

Great choice of guest columnists, Paloma! I discovered Matters of Style in May and think the MoS girls have fabulous taste, presented in a very entertaining way. What a beautiful room!

Unknown said...

thank you for mentioning our award to you! you deserve all of them!!
xoxox