photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Friday, November 13, 2009

Fabulous Room Friday 11.13.09

gary-spain-1

This week’s fabulous room proves that styling and accessories can make an enormous difference in a room. If you are a design-lover, chances are you want to change everything in your house constantly, but of course, that can get expensive. In his own living room, designer Gary Spain shows us how one can make an enormous impact simply by changing out the accessories in a room.

The images in this post are of three incarnations of Spain’s living room. The first, pictured above, is more minimalist in style. You’ll notice the sofa and table are the only constant elements in the room, but he plays upon them beautifully. Here, he pairs an oversized industrial lamp with an Arne Jacobsen Egg chair. A huge antique clock serves as the primary focus in the room. gary-spain-2Spain channels Domino Magazine in the second incarnation of the room. This is probably the most eclectic version of the room with its horns, crystal chandelier, and luxe meets flea market vibe. I love that he has infused the room with bright colors and graphic patterns. The plaster bust is from an antiques shop in Petaluma, California and the various prints are vintage. Notice that the seat cushion on the sofa has gone from grey to a damask pattern, like the chair.

gary-spain-3 The third version of the room is the most sophisticated and refined of the three. There are noticeably fewer accessories than in the second version. This time, Spain drew inspiration from abroad, using a Moroccan rug, gold pouf, and royal patterned pillow from Krimsa. The gorgeous French Provençal chairs are beautiful with their brown and white striped upholstery. They add the perfect graphic impact to the room. This time, Spain rounded out the room with an abstract drawing by artist Peter Foucaultand and an oversized pendant lamp from CB2.

I honestly cannot decide which version of the room is my favorite. I think they each speak to my taste and personality. I love the clock in the first version, the accessories and overall vibe of the second, and I think the third room is the most edited and sophisticated. I keep going back and forth! Which version of Gary Spain’s living room do you prefer?

 

Image Credits: Gary Spain and California Home and Design Magazine

14 comments:

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

So fabulous - that clock is amazing! :)

Jami - XOimagine said...

I love the clock. Very eye catching!

Julie Leah said...

Ah! This is a difficult one. I like bits and pieces from each room. But I think if I had to choose one it would be the third one....maybe with just a little more color!

LindsB said...

hmm, thats a really hard one- I love the second and third rooms. I like the second one for my life now, it's young and fun. Then as I get older I can see myself moving more to the third as I add more forever pieces and refine my taste.

They are all great- this is an awesome post!

Lauren said...

Second one!

Viera said...

Love all of them . Second one is fun!
X
V

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

I love how he layered rugs with various textures and patterns. A fun, eclectic look and he pulls it off beautifully!

xo,
cristin

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I think the third one is the most striking, although I do like all of them they are all fun...love your blog, come for a visit I am a new follower of yours...

Mademoiselle Deva said...

I agree the clock is amazing! Very eye catching! Beautiful rooms!

eve said...

wow, just how amazing is that clock!

Karin van Dam said...

I love all three of them, but if I had to live in one of them, I'd choose the last one. Although.. that clock... it's breathtaking!

The Trendy Fashionista said...

Cute Blog! : )
-The Trendy Fashionista
http://thetrendyfashionista.blogspot.com

Ann McGuire said...

They all have so much personality. It's like you're watching a room "grow up" through the three variations. Where does he store everything? How can the rest of us do this?

Julie Richard - Shelter said...

I have that large light fixture in the last image. It's in my stairway and looks very cool on a dimmer. It glows beautifully..

Best,
Julie